Sunday, March 25, 2012

P90x Day 7 + healthy homemade tacos


P90x first week down!

Day 7 review

Instead of just taking the day off or skipping this stretch day (since I am behind 1 day of a workout) I did the X Stretch DVD because my muscles were feeling tight and my calves felt in need of stretches a la downward dog.

Food intake

As I mentioned previously, I only recently tasted cottage cheese and I love it! Since it is high in protein and I usually eat a lot of cheese I figured this could be my new go-to high-carb. As such I need to get on the hunt for recipes that call for it. So, I figured it might be a good replacement for sour cream--not because of the taste but because it actually looks like a good replacement.

Since I figured tacos would not make it into my clean eating lifestyle switch I had not picked up anything at the supermarket with tacos in mind.

[Enter the pantry and refrigerator raiding]
I found:
  • Cottage cheese
  • Cilantro
  • Spinach
  • Scallions
  • Garlic powder
  • Ground turkey (left-over from a meal where I seasoned it with Mrs. Dash garlic & herbs and yellow and white onions.)
  • Corn
  • Tabasco sauce
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Red onion
  • and:


I wanted a hard shell taco instead of a burrito-esque meal so I preheated my Breville conventional oven at 375F. Next, I cut up my veggies and since I wanted the look of guacamole I blended some cottage cheese, spinach, scallions, cilantro and garlic powder.

Then I wet two paper towels and wrapped a tortilla in it, to provide a steam effect once heated in the microwave and to prevent hardening from the microwave. I heated this for 35 seconds.
By the time my tortilla was done from the microwave my oven was successfully pre-heated. So, I placed the tortilla on the rack and heated it for 9 minutes.
I was famished so I did not have time to take a picture of the end result!  

1 comment:

  1. You are certainly creative with food... =)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you stopped by. Suggestions, questions, and new fitness friends welcome :)