Monday, March 19, 2012

P90x Day 4 + healthy ice cream dessert recipe

P90x Day 4 of 90


I just came in to post about today and I am sad to see that my thoughtful post about yesterday's session apparently never went through and I do not even see it listed as a draft! :(

Well, my brief recap will follow since I don't have the energy to rewrite my detailed post over.

Day 4 review

Ahhh yes, P90x Day 4....

I tried my hand at yoga! I always thought yoga would be too slow and boring. I was wrong. What a humbling experience his workout was! I was surprised that it made me sweat and I was too busy struggling to keep or attempt some poses that I never found myself bored. The stretches felt really good on my muscles that have for the most part recovered from all previous workouts.

Food intake (DIY healthy ice cream)

For St. Patty's day my boyfriend woke me up with a 3 egg spinach omelette with low-fat cheddar cheese. Of course I could have done without the side of tator tots but who am I to refuse any bit of a nice gesture?

In place of sugar-filled ecstasy dessert I made a one ingredient dessert. Here is the recipe: banana. Seriously. I have always been a sucker for frozen grapes so I like to see which other fruits lend themselves to freezing. So far I have found citrus fruits to not be okay frozen and berries (especially strawberries) are too hard frozen unless used for a smoothie. A mango can be amazing if you only leave it for up to half a day.

Now, drumroll, please: A frozen banana is fighting for the number one position with the grapes. If you freeze a banana you will notice it does not feel as hard as a brick; clearly it wants to be frozen. I was using bananas for smoothies or protein shakes and noticed the bananas would make the drinks sweeter and creamy. So, I decided to blend the banana on its own to gauge how much sugar to add so that my drinks would not come out too sweet. I blended a banana I had frozen for two days and voila: ice cream! I used a bit of milk to help with the mixing since I used my magic bullet machine.

Tidbits about one-ingredient banana ice cream

  • The smell of blended frozen banana is amazing
  • The texture is like soft serve (I don't know how the frozen banana concoction is once placed back in the freezer because I can't stop myself from eating it once I make it) 
  • The taste is sweet on its own if you freeze the banana when it is ripe
    • The heavier the spotting/darkening the sweeter
  • If it is too sweet play around with it--add things like spinach, peanut butter, or almond oil
  • If it is not sweet enough throw in some honey ;)
  • Add protein powder to boost the health factor!

1 comment:

  1. I never would have thought to freeze a banana and turn it into ice cream! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Let me know you stopped by. Suggestions, questions, and new fitness friends welcome :)